Watford Fire Museum


The Fire Museum is located at Watford Fire Station on Lower High Street (behind Tesco’s and virtually opposite Watford Museum).

A purpose built building at the rear holds a substantial collection of various items of fire service equipment, uniform and documents. Along with historic photos of fire appliances, fire/incident scenes and local fire history

This historic 1937 Leyland Pump Escape, was filmed at Remembrance.

​Two ex-fire officers, Roger Middleton and Ian Strudwick, look after the following:

  • An 1850s manual hand pump from Barley near Royston
  • A 1960s 50ft steel Merryweather escape, carried on the 1984 Dennis Water Tender Escape fire applicance based at Watford until 1994
  • An 1863 manual hand pump from the Tring Park Estate
  • An 1896 Shand-Mason horse-drawn steam fire pump, ex-London Fire Brigade
  • A 1900s hose cart, on loan from Watford Museum
  • A 1937 Leyland open-bodied pump escape, based at St Albans until the 1960s
  • A 1942 Dennis No.2 trailer pump, from Berkhamstead
  • A Second World War Scammell wheelbarrow pump

The fire museum opens between 1pm – 4pm but only a few days a year:

27 May 2023
29 July 2023
2 September 2023