Where To Report Dumped Rubbish and Fly Tipping in Hertfordshire

fly tipping

It is a criminal offence if you don’t take reasonable steps to check that the person you employ to remove rubbish from your home or place of business has been licensed to carry waste by the Environment Agency.

If you witness fly-tipping in action, observe from a distance and call 999.  If you come across a fly-tip, contact your local council www.hertsdirect.org/flytip. Alternatively, call 101 and a referral will be made to the local authority.

What is flytipping?

  • It is the illegal dumping of waste and is a serious criminal offence.
  • It causes pollution, is a health risk, spoils our quality of life and costs many thousands of pounds a year to clear in Watford.
  • There are steps you can take to help to prevent flytipping.

Hemel Dacorum Borough Council – is responsible for clearing away flytipped rubbish and prosecuting the people who dump it.

St Albans City & District Council – Is it happening right now? Please call the police immediately on 101. Do not approach the person dumping the rubbish. 
If you discover fly-tipped waste after the event call our hotline number 01727 809019 or email us the details on a.cleanerdistrict@stalbans.gov.uk 

Three Rivers Council – 01923 776611 or e-mail enquiries@threerivers.gov.uk

Watford Borough Council has a duty to remove illegally dumped waste (known as fly tipping), although this does not apply to waste dumped on private land. If you think you have witnessed someone fly tipping or you wish to report rubbish that has been fly tipped then please complete the following form.

Householders can also take their bulky waste free of charge to one of the Household Waste Recycling Centres across the county. Click here for more details.

If you are unable to transport your waste to one of these sites, all of Hertfordshire’s borough and district councils will collect bulky items for a fee. 

Click on the relevant borough or district link below:

BroxbourneSt Albans
East HertsThree Rivers
North HertsWelwyn Hatfield
Where To Report Dumped Rubbish and Fly Tipping

Report, view, or discuss local problems

(like graffiti, fly tipping, broken paving slabs, or street lighting) with UK wide fixmystreet website.