A woman in Watford, Hertfordshire, had a terrifying experience when she fell into a deep sinkhole filled with sewage.
Laura Gerber had been returning from a night out at around 2:30am last Sunday, when she accidentally mistook the sinkhole for a small puddle in Jubilee Road, Watford, near the junction with Leavesden Road.
As she stepped backwards to let someone out of the car, she fell into the hole and injured her back. Laura struggled to keep herself afloat in the deep water and gasped for air as she pulled herself up.
Her boyfriend, Jason Topping, said that Laura’s “head went under the water, and she even swallowed sewage water.” “I’ve never seen so much vomit come out of a woman.”
She was taken to the hospital and treated for contact with raw sewage, which can cause a range of diseases. Doctors were concerned that Laura may have contracted leptospirosis, also known as Weil’s Disease, which can be life-threatening.
As of March 14, Laura remained in the hospital, unable to eat due to her deteriorating health.
Fortunately, Laura managed to claw her way out and was left with bruises and a scrape on her back. The incident could have been much worse, as Laura emphasized how lucky she was to have had the strength to pull herself out.
Miss Gerber took to social media to warn people, after being discharged from a visit to the hospital to get checked. She highlighted the potential danger to others, as the sinkhole could have caused serious harm to anyone who fell into it.
Mr Topping said hospital staff believe that Leptospirosis, a disease spread through animals’ urine, may be what has caused Miss Gerber’s illness, but they are still doing tests to confirm it.
The incident has gained attention on social media, with photos of Laura soaked in sewage water and clearly shaken up after the incident going viral. It serves as a reminder of the potential dangers that can lurk in unexpected places, and the importance of being vigilant and aware of one’s surroundings.
You must log in to post a comment.