Breaking News


Man jailed for seven and a half years for savage assault

A man has been jailed for seven and a half years after he left a man with multiple fractures and permanent sight loss following a savage assault in Hemel Hempstead.

Leon Edmund, 33, of Ritcroft Street, was sentenced at Luton Crown Court on Friday (25 August) after previously pleading guilty to causing grievous bodily harm (GBH), causing actual bodily harm (ABH) and an assault by beating.

The court heard that the assault took place on the evening of Saturday 25 March 2023 in Warners End. Edmund and the victim, a man in his 40s, had been at a charity boxing event in Watford and returned on the same minibus.

During the journey, a verbal altercation is reported to have occurred. When they arrived back in Hemel Hempstead, Edmund waited around for the victim and his family to get off the minibus.

He then launched a sustained attack on the victim, punching him to the ground twice and continuing to strike him several more times while he lay unconscious and unable to protect himself. Edmund also assaulted the victim’s son and the victim’s partner during the incident.

Only when a member of the public intervened did Edmund finally stop before leaving the area.

The victim was taken to hospital, where it was ascertained that he had suffered multiple and extensive fractures to his face, including both eye sockets, fractured cheekbones, a broken nose and a broken jaw, as well as permanent partial sight loss in one eye.

Leon Edmund to spend years in jail for savage attack.

Edmund was arrested at his address the following morning and subsequently charged.

Sentencing Edmund, Judge Michael Kay QC said that the attack had been “savage and sustained” and that the victim had suffered “significant and life-changing injuries”.

He added that Edmund had shown “no remorse” for his actions.

Following the sentencing, the victim’s family said that they were “pleased” with the outcome and that they hoped Edmund would “reflect on his actions”.

They added that they were “grateful” for the support they had received from the police and the hospital staff.

Detective Constable Leanne Hollowday, from the Dacorum Local Crime Unit, led the investigation. She said: “This was a violent and sustained attack on a man who was simply enjoying a night out with his family and supporting a friend at a charity event.

“Several people attempted to take Edmund away from the area, but he repeatedly refused and launched his attack, leaving the victim unconscious and with permanent, life-changing injuries.

“I am pleased that the sentence handed down reflects the seriousness of the offence. I hope it gives Edmund a chance to reflect on his terrible actions and time for the victims and their family to continue their recovery from this ordeal.”

%d bloggers like this: