A car crashed into the gates of Downing Street on Thursday afternoon. Armed officers arrested a man at the scene and he is currently in custody.
There were no reports of any injuries. No 10 has confirmed Rishi Sunak was in Downing Street at the time. He was then seen leaving for a pre-arranged appointment with a police escort.
The Met Police said “The incident is being investigated by local officers in Westminster and is not currently being treated as terror-related. A small cordon was in place outside Downing Street.”
The incident sparked a rapid security response, as police swarmed the vehicle. A driver who crashed a car into the gates of the British prime minister’s residence at Downing Street was arrested on suspicion of criminal damage and dangerous driving and is in custody.
The car has been removed.
Here are some additional details:
- The car was a silver Kia.
- The crash happened at around 4:20pm.
- The man was arrested on suspicion of criminal damage and dangerous driving.
- The incident is not being treated as terror-related.
- A small cordon remains in place outside Downing Street.
You must log in to post a comment.