A fire broke out at a three-storey block of student accommodation on Avery Hill Road in Avery Hill last week, causing damage to part of the ground floor. Thankfully, no injuries were reported.
According to Firefighters, the fire was caused by the unsafe use of a toaster placed on its side to make cheese on toast for brunch at 10:40am.
The affected students are being provided with alternative accommodation while repairs are made to the damaged area. Firefighters were quick to respond to the incident and were able to prevent the fire from spreading to other parts of the building.
The public are reminded to always practice caution when using appliances and to take appropriate safety measures to prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “The fire started after a resident placed a toaster on its side and inserted bread and cheese. They then left it cooking unattended.
“Only use electrical products for their designated use. Toasters need to be kept clean to prevent fires and are not designed to be used on their side. Not only does it generate heat onto the work surface but the dry left-over crumbs from the bottom of the toaster can get onto the hot elements and ignite.
“It’s also really important that you always check toasters and other appliances are turned off and unplugged when not in use, unless they’re designed to be left on, like your fridge or freezer.
“Keep clutter to a minimum on your kitchen work surfaces especially near toasters and hobs as they can accidentally switch them on or catch fire.”
Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Sidcup, Bexley, East Greenwich and Lee Green fire stations attended the incident.